We are in the medieval village of Olivola. Built in 1585, the villa encapsulates the entire history of Bricco dei Guazzi. Villa del Bel Riposo (Beautiful Rest Villa), whose name already expresses the comfort and hospitality of its rooms, was the home of the Guazzo and Candiani nobles. Stefano Guazzo had it built in honor of his wife, Francesca. It is proud and elegant, just like we are.
Our vineyards have character. Here the vines have to dig into the marly-calcareous soil to find water. Thus wines are born that are elegant but with a strong personality.
This vineyard has a northwest exposure, and Albarossa, Merlot and Cabernet are grown here: the alternation of white marl with soils rich in iron and clay gives the wines elegance and finesse.
Costa, or Grande Cedro Vineyard
Southern exposure, with marly soil and a significant longitudinal slope that prevents any stagnation of water. It is a cru registered by Veronelli: Barbera has chosen to grow here.
La Presidenta and la Mandola Vineyard
The estate’s crus, registered by Veronelli. Southern exposure, with prevailing winds from the valley floor to the top of the hill. It is here that orur Albarossa is grown.
Another cru vineyard registered by Veronelli, with southwest exposure and an alternation of calcareous marl with soil rich in clay and iron. Planted in Barbera.
The northwest exposure is favorable for growing Merlot, an early ripening vine that prefers these exposures.
Sotto al Peso and Fontanino Vineyard
Set on the north side of the hill, these are the most suitable spots for white or Pinot Noir grapes.
The past and the future meet in front of our wines. Excavated in the tuff under the villa, the first winery of Bricco dei Guazzi dates back to the 16th century. In 1700, the large volted winery was built on the north side of the ancient courtyard. They worked by gravity: the grapes were passed into the masonry fermentation tanks and the wine was cascaded into large barrels on the lower floor.
Today, our winery supports the traditional method with modern structures that reach the capacity of over 2000 hl: the stainless steel tanks, with temperature control systems, and the bottling plant ensure excellent production in step with the times.
The Bricco dei Guazzi infernot is one of the largest in Monferrato; it is perfectly preserved and open to visitors. Its niches are as much as 12 meters deep, and are dug into the large vaults of the first cellar that support the entire villa. The commission that evaluated the registering of the site as a UNESCO heritage site was welcomed here. Centuries later, our infernot is still doing its job: that of preserving the most precious bottles of wine.